This position has been filled.
Lead Sysadmin/Devops Engineer: Maintain Two High-Availability Apps
Our team is 100% remote and distributed across the world. We have team members in the United States, the United Kingdom, Thailand, Ukraine, and Romania. It doesn’t matter where you live or what time zone you’re in.
You will be joining two developers and another sysadmin/devops engineer who is familiar with the platform. Our current devops lead is moving to an auxiliary role and will be available for training and backup coverage. You will be responsible for maintaining and supporting two interesting high-availability apps:
- WP Sandbox: An API that creates disposable WordPress installs in seconds. Give it a try: http://wpsandbox.pro/create?src=thoughtless-butterfly&key=eqiUc5Z8YoHlOmtB&url=wp-admin/admin.php?page=pmxi-admin-import
- Automatic Scheduling: An add-on service for our WordPress plugin WP All Import Pro that works similar to EasyCron and allows users configure their imports to run on a schedule.
Hours & Responsibilities
This role is ongoing with no end date. The hours required will fluctuate, and most of the work can be done on your own schedule. You hours may hover near 0 some weeks, and go up to 20-30hrs other weeks.
You will be the primary sysadmin/devops engineer for both apps. You will support the developers to add new features, help track down bugs, and engage in proactive maintenance. If there is a problem during off hours and you ack an alarm through OpsGenie, you will receive a bonus. If you are unavailable, the auxiliary sysadmin will hopefully be available to ack the alarm.
We run a hybrid environment consisting of both bare metal instances and cloud resources on AWS. Here is an incomplete list of the technologies that power our apps:
- Juniper SRX
- Python (CeleryD)
- Managing distributed, parallel, high-availability, hybrid environments using both dedicated and cloud resources
- An understanding of how web apps function down to the OS level
- Troubleshooting race conditions
- Working around legacy codebases
- Managing queue based applications
- Writing Bash scripts to perform common tasks more efficiently
- Devops/automation experience, preferably using Saltstack, but experience with any configuration management technologies is a plus.
- Experience administering hardware firewalls such as Juniper SRX’s, or PANs.
- Cloud providers portfolio of services (AWS, Google Cloud, Azure, Rackspace)
- Experience with CloudLinux
- Familiarity with SQL and NOSQL (MySQL, MongoDB, Redis)
- An understanding of the requirements for WordPress
- Certifications (AWS Solutions Architect, RHCSA, RHCE, RHCA)
- Experience with object-oriented programming languages
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘Hiring – Sysadmin/Devops’. In the body of your email please state your hourly rate and describe your relevant experience, your current availability, your current professional obligations, projects you’ve worked on in the past, and any certifications/education you may have. No attachments.